Area Director – Upscale Franchise Services
Drive performance results of assigned portfolio hotels. Continuously track market and competition trends while seeking realistic strategies for property and overall portfolio revenue and guest satisfaction improvement. Productively engage owners, management companies, additionally designated franchisee representatives, on-site management, and internal Choice stakeholders. Achieve the status of being a trusted advisor to franchisee owners and property level management teams. Utilize effective presentation and persuasion skills to establish productive engagement levels and motivate owners and operators to take action, absent direct control over their operations. Facilitate continuous improvement action planning to help generate incremental top-line revenues and guest satisfaction. Monitor performance of portfolio hotels to ensure prioritized delivery of consultative services and targeted intervention opportunities. Be accountable for achieving personal and team objectives. Take initiative to identify and proactively communicate potential portfolio retention risks. Possess superior time management and self-starting administrative follow-up practices. Support assigned initiatives and brand program objectives. Demonstrate proficiency in use and coaching of proprietary and industry technologies. Possess significant property and/or above-property-level hotel operations and sales/marketing experience. Seek and share best practices.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
CDV-Core Divisional Duties
- Ensure high level of consumer (guest) satisfaction through interactive consultation to analyze GIS and related guest satisfaction metrics, third party site reviews, and prescription of appropriate resources for addressing guest satisfaction need areas.
- Cultivate and maintain effective franchisee relationships as the key Choice franchisee contact, focusing on owner engagement, retention strategies and management company effectiveness.
- Provide material feedback to Regional Vice President of Franchise Services to communicate unusual property performance trends, ownership engagement issues, competitive intelligence, or other information that might prompt the consideration of joint intervention strategies.
- Deliver additional support and engagement tactics for prominent clients.
- Demonstrate knowledge and expertise with all Choice proprietary systems and industry related support technologies including, but not limited to, Franchise Services designated CRM, Choice University online, ChoiceADVANTAGE, Rates Center, SmartRates, Medallia, Smith Travel Research, and company-supported price positioning software solutions (e.g. Rate Gain, Travel Click resources, etc.).
- Develop proficiencies to effectively interpret performance data through all internal and external sources.
- Demonstrate mastery of virtual consultation delivery techniques. Understand when to preference the usage of virtual consultations over traditional, On-Site consultations.
- Cultivate skills as hotel-level performance driver, and demonstrate ability to convince hotel stakeholders, absent direct control, to act on solid recommendations for incremental revenue, operations proficiency, and profitability at hotels.
- Generate required post-consultation follow-up correspondence to ownership, designated property representatives, management company representatives, and/or on-site General Manager. Maintain effective property and ownership documentation notes within Choice’s proprietary contact management technology systems. Regularly update contact management records, including General Manager, department head, and/or ownership changes within required time frames.
- Provide timely and accurate documentation of all business expenses through online expense reporting system. Manage business expense decisions, corporate credit card usage, and overall expense management within assigned budgetary guidelines.
- Remain currently informed of all Choice programs, franchise requirements, operating practices, market trends, and industry conditions to provide necessary information and support to franchisees.
- Support best practices for system entry support and ramp-up success in conjunction with Opening Services Department.
- Understand and support Choice Hotels training and educational programs and resources. Engage franchisees and GMs to support Choice University on-line, local, regional, and national training opportunities that address their needs. Ensure property level certifications are in place, including Choice’s requirement that General Managers be certified.
- Self-identify and engage RVP and others to analyze performance strengths, and to address opportunities for addressing personal development through Pathways and other programs as appropriate
CDIS-Core Interdepartmental Duties
- Collaborate with ChoiceRM, Cambria Field Sales, Sales Operations, and Digital Performance Analyst teams to drive top-line revenues at portfolio hotels through interactive pricing and demand management consultations. Support Rates Center, SmartRates and choiceADVANTAGE® revenue management features and practices, CRS and OTA strategies, proprietary revenue generation programs (i.e. Call Forwarding and Choice Privileges®), local sales planning, and participation in programs and resources from other Choice Hotels departments.
- Ongoing monitoring of hotel revenue and yield performance indices, GIS and related guest satisfaction scores, brand ranking, Compliance, QAR scores, and other metrics to identify greatest opportunities Actively participate in ownership activities and communications, including current corporate initiatives, as directed by the RVP.
- Collaborate with Franchise Services Opening department to successfully open and ramp up all new entry hotels to fair market share and guest satisfaction metrics within first 12 months on entry.
- Seek and share industry and market intelligence and best practices with peers, franchisees and corporate staff; become the eyes and ears, recognizing trends, threats and opportunities that can be exploited by franchisees and Choice
NCDIS-Supporting Interdepartmental Duties
Understand and successfully integrate Choice’s cultural values and performance principles into all facets of franchisee, peer, and internal stakeholder interaction.
Skills, Education and Experience
- Extensive corporate level, multi-unit hotel operations management and/or sales support highly preferred
- Requires minimum of five years’ relevant experience and/or hotel level leadership
- Full-service hotel experience preferred
- Ability to convey and apply revenue management principles and practices essential
- Bachelors degree highly preferred
- Equivalent experience may be considered
- Must have keen analytic skills and data management abilities
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills, franchise industry savvy, and proven track record in driving hotel performance success
- Must have strong training, consulting, and persuasion skills
- Must be fluent in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Must have superior time-management and follow-through skills
Must have and maintain all industry certification designations through American Hotel & Lodging Association (CHA, CHSP, CHRM)
Must be self-motivated, organized, and able to balance multiple project support requests beyond ongoing portfolio support requirements
Must thrive on exceeding goals and meeting deadlines
Extensive overnight travel required (approx. 90%)
Must be able to uphold Choice’s Values & Performance Principles of accountability, collaboration, performance excellence, sense of urgency, innovation, inclusion & diversity, integrity & trust, customer focus, and respect.
A Hotel Franchise Company
Thanks to our genuinely outstanding team of associates who serve our franchisees and guests in…